Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Vintage TV... With a Twist.




One of the joys of the internet is the myriad ways one can bump into (in a virtual sense) fellow TZ fans. One such fan is Kyler, who I met through Facebook, where he'd posted a picture that caught my covetous eye. It seems this industrious individual has connected a PlayStation3 to a vintage Motorola TV set, and is enjoying The Twilight Zone on it! He was kind enough to write up how he did it, and provided several pictures. Take it away, Kyler!


My name is Kyler, I’m 16 years old, I’m from Washington, and this is my beautiful example of a working 100% original 1956 Motorola TV. I changed a few tubes to achieve maximum performance then hooked it up to the RF converter box and now I can use it with my PS3! Its great for watching stuff like the original “The Day The Earth Stood Still” and “the Twilight Zone”, but playing Fallout 3 on it is a kick!

It was fate that I found this TV. I was actually camping and needed some fire-starters so I rode down to the store and got a newspaper. I noticed by chance the for sale section and saw “1956 Motorola TV $20”. I called the owner and arranged a meet where I picked up the TV.

It did work at first, however the picture was incredibly fuzzy and when I finally got my tube tester a few months later I tested all the tubes and replaced a few. Now it works perfectly. I am using it sparingly however; imagine trying to replace the picture tube! I recently bought the remote, but have yet to get it to work. I am not sure if the remote is broken or the sets RF receiver is broken, but it is still very cool to have. Thanks for reading!


Very cool INDEED. I'm not gonna lie.... I'm sorely tempted to start scouring craigslist.com for my own vintage set. Maybe one of these days.... Hey, for those of you might be inclined to take on such a project, Kyler was kind enough to provide some pictures of his supplies:


You see that metal Coke sign in the upper right corner? I have the exact same sign in my garage!

If anyone else out there has something similar set up, drop me a line. I'm always happy to spotlight this type of stuff. Thanks again, Kyler!



No comments: