Tuesday, December 22, 2009

TZ Spotlight: Talky Tina talking bobblehead (Bif Bang Pow!)



Just in time for Christmas! Submitted for your approval, number three in a series of excellent Twilight Zone bobbleheads from Bif Bang Pow!, this time bringing to life a notorious doll who won't hesitate to put you in your place…

Talky Tina appeared in the Twilight Zone episode "Living Doll," which originally aired on 11/01/1963 and starred Telly Savalas as a rather unfriendly stepdad locked in mortal combat with…. a wind-up talking doll. Voiced by June Foray (best known as the voice of Rocky the Flying Squirrel), Tina spouts choice lines like "My name is Talky Tina, and I'm going to kill you." My advice? Don't fuck with her.




Talky Tina stands 6.5" tall and, like her older brothers The Mystic Seer and The Invader, is nice and heavy. She's molded in gray resin with black and white paint apps, just like her predecessors. As with The Invader, the Twilight Zone logo is featured front and center, superimposed (as it were) over Tina's base, which represents a staircase (to explain the staircase would give away the episode's climax, but let's just say it's a nice ghoulish touch). The base also houses the sound chip, which is powered by a 3-volt lithium battery (included).



When it comes time to replace the battery, the felt-like material covering the bottom (which displays the Bif Bang Pow! logo) can be peeled back.



A button on the back of the base triggers the sound chip. There are five phrases, all taken directly from the episode (you can hear snippets of Bernard Herrmann's musical score in the background on a few of them):

"My name is Talky Tina, and I don't think I like you."

"My name is Talky Tina, and I love you very much."

"My name is Talky Tina, and I'm going to kill you."

"My name is Talky Tina, and you'd better be nice to me."

"My name is Talky Tina, and you'll be sorry."



Tina is quite screen-accurate, with one interesting exception: there's a white bracelet sculpted onto Tina's left wrist. No idea why, as it doesn't appear in the episode. Otherwise, the sculpt is quite nice, capturing the innocence of the doll (which is nicely contrasted by the diabolical phrases she utters).



We get a different box this time around --- no clear plastic window showing the actual item inside.





Overall--- yet another winner. A Twitter post on 11/20/09 from Bif Bang Pow! indicates that a fourth Twilight Zone bobblehead is in the works… I'm hoping for a Kanamit, but honestly, I'll take anything. These things ROCK, and belong in the collection of any serious Twilight Zone fan.





No comments: