Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Merch Spotlight: Kanamit's Cookbook Set (SDCC Exclusive)


The annual San Diego Comic Con brings many exclusive collectibles, and 2012 was no different. It's the Kanamit's Cookbook Set, an interesting all-in-one collection of three Kanamit-themed items, two of which are available separately, and one that's exclusive to this set.




 14+?  Why, exactly?



First the good news.  If you don’t yet own the Kanamit Tin Tote and/or the Kanamit Cookbook Journal, they're identical to those included here, so you can skip them if you have this set.  The only thing unique about this limited edition set is the variant Kanamit action figure, which is cloaked in black instead of white.  So if you’re collecting all the action figures, you’re gonna have to buy this set to stay current.



The Kanamit figure itself appears identical to the regular version, but the three-piece outfit is all black  Oh, and the "To Serve Man" cookbook is the same (as it should be).



The variant Kanamit does look pretty cool… unfortunately, mine is severely fucked up.  Have a look (or several):







I’m not privy to the ins and outs of action figure making, so I have no idea how this could’ve happened, but obviously some of the black from the clothing rubbed off onto the figure.  I haven’t tried cleaning it off: since I don’t know what the cloak is made of, I have no idea what I should use.  My fear is that I’ll somehow damage the figure if I use the wrong cleaning agent.  So I don’t know what to do.  In all fairness, most of the damage is hidden beneath the robes, but there are still visible black marks on the head and hands.  So yeah, I’m kinda pissed.  I thought about asking for a replacement or a refund, but I probably missed the deadline for that (I received the items in the fall, and just now got around to opening them).

Dude, you really ought to see your dermatologist.

Your mileage may vary, of course.  I’m not telling you not to buy this… I’m just saying check your Kanamit carefully, and maybe contact Entertainment Earth if you’re unhappy with what you get.  They've been very good in the past about replacing damaged items (I've had three bobbleheads arrive broken over the years, which I’ll be talking about when I review the Henry Bemis bobble head), so I can vouch for their customer service. The set is still available, as of this writing, in both the regular $34.99 version and a more expensive version, signed by actor Richard Kiel, for $49.99.




No comments: